Jun 10, 2020
COVID-19 AND EYE HEALTH Resources
Since the beginning of the COVID-19 pandemic, Fighting Blindness Canada (FBC) has been listening and learning about the concerns of the vision loss community. Over the last few months, we’ve helped answer top COVID-19 and eye health related questions, and prepared a variety of resources to support individuals living with vision loss during these confusing and complicated times.
We understand firsthand the challenges the vision loss community is facing and want to reassure you that we are here to help. Here are four FBC developed resources we encourage you to explore and share with those that may need support:
- COVID-19 and Your Eye Health FAQs: Sharing information about eye health during COVID-19, what to expect at an upcoming eye exam, addressing urgent eye appointments and more.
- Protecting Mental Health during COVID-19: Answering mental health related questions surrounding COVID-19 and sharing tips on how to reduce stress and anxiety.
- Managing Eye Care in the COVID-19 Era Webinar Recording: In this webinar, Dr. Netan Choudhry discusses challenges in treating retinal eye disease in the age of COVID-19, while also providing a brief overview of age-related macular degeneration and emerging treatments.
- Social Distancing in the Dark: A Blind Person’s Perspective on COVID-19 Webinar Recording: In this webinar, Paralympic swimmer Donovan Tildesley and ophthalmologist Dr. Briar Sexton speak on key challenges individuals living with vision loss are experiencing during COVID-19, and provide creative workarounds for people to consider.
- FBC Health Information Line: Our Health Information Officer is here to help answer your eye health questions. The line can be reached by phone at 1.888.626.2995 or email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Research is also being impacted by the COVID-19 pandemic. Dr. Vince Tropepe shares on his research team’s experience during these times in our recent interview with him. Check out the Q&A with Dr. Tropepe.
If you’re an eye care provider, we also have a free COVID-19 and Your Eye Health Frequently Asked Questions PDF Handout you can download and share.
Federal and provincial governments, as well as doctors and eye specialists, have developed different health practices in response to the COVID-19 pandemic. Different recommendations are made depending on the following:
- Your personal health
- Your doctor’s office
- Your province
The information and resources shared on this page are provided by FBC and are for educational purposes only. This information is not a replacement for professional medical advice. Please call your eye specialist or doctor if you have any questions about your vision or personal health.
Join the Fight!
Learn how your support is helping to bring a future without blindness into focus! Be the first to learn about the latest breakthroughs in vision research and events in your community by subscribing to our e-newsletter that lands in inboxes the beginning of each month.